Friday, November 3, 2017

TV tokens

When I was a child there was a period of time when our family had "TV tokens". Each week we would get an allowance of how much TV we could watch, and we would cash in our tokens putting them into a jar when we watched TV.

As a family we used it to help us spend more time together rather than watching TV. At the moment I'm trying to work out how to read more, and remembering our use of TV tokens gave me an idea: my own TV tokens.

Rather than receiving a given allocation of TV tokens each week, I will get one TV token for each chapter of a book I read. (I might decide to tweak the ratio if the chapters get particularly long)

So far I've ready three chapters of the Irresistible revolution by Shane Claiborne and "spent" two of my tokens to watch one episode of Bad Habits, Holy Orders (that's a topic for another post).

Will it work? Will I keep reading? I don't know yet, but so far it's helping me to weigh my priorities. I can visually see my tokens collect and give myself an excuse why I can't watch TV and should read instead: "I don't have any TV tokens!"

No comments:

Post a Comment