Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Experience...

Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!"

And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. 5And I said: "Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!"


As Piper writes, "Mission exists because worship does not."
But missionaries exist because worship does.


"Missional" will always be a program or a buzzword if you have not experienced the power of the gospel in your own life. The deeper it has exploded in your heart, the more confident in its fruitfulness you will be.


Gospel Driven Church - Isaiah and Gospel Wakefulness


So why not look at God now?

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if one reason is because it causes us to say "Woe is me! I am lost!" It's not comfortable or "nice" to be broken before God and repent (yet, of course it is glorious)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed. Often on Sunday morning 'at church' I plan to spend the afternoon with God, talking and listening to him, yet so often I don't... and regret it.

    I think the "comfort" thing might be it - yet I'm reminded now of the beginning of 2 Corinthians where comfort is repeated over and over again in relation to the "Father of mercies". :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, if I'm honest, I don't think it's because I worry about being made uncomfortable, but I just don't think it's worth it or "going to work", which is quite sad.

    However, regarding feeling uncomfortable, check out this blog: http://fwiwblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/theology-of-uncomfortable-grace.html

    ReplyDelete