Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Scared of the truth?

I was reading Tim Chester's blog and having read about a line of a post was pretty worried. The line was: "There is a summary of the gospel message which runs like this:..." But you knew there was a 'but' coming. "This version of the story is true. But it is not the whole truth."

Now, this widening/reclarification/... of the gospel seems helpful for those hearing, as we're being self-centered if we make it all about our individual selves. Yet sometimes when I read things that start similarly, or talk about the gospel I get so confused. I fairly recently listened to Mike Reeves' four part series on Justification, and it was great, yet I'm still confused, maybe more confused. Maybe I need to concentrate more and listen again.

I know works plays no part in justifying us. It can't. It doesn't work. But are works a natural consequence of a repentant and saved person? I guess it comes back to: I screw up, on varying levels for different periods of time, and yet God welcomes be back. How long and serious can these screw-ups be? I think that's the wrong question - an answer, if there was one, would be to "look at Christ...", keep fixed on him. But yet the question remains.

4 comments:

  1. Good question - and great answer.

    I dont think the screws up can go to a certain length and then God doesnt take us back - but rather that if there is never any love for Christ we never came to God in the first place. I forget where the verse is but I take great comfort from the promise for God preserving the saints = He who began a good work in you will carry it to completion...

    Thanks for posting a full breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  2. And several times I've been challenged "Give me nothing, or give me your all" and I've said I give you my all, yet have not. I've even 'counted the cost' and thought about what I might `loose`.

    So here I am, not wanting to give it all up for him, yet knowing "I have to?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. know the feeling. I dont think there is such a thing as perfect surrender this side of heaven - i know its trite to say so - but it does all point to grace!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're saved to do good works, not because of our good works.

    ----

    This reminds me of what a Puritan preacher once said: "Even our tears of repentance need to be washed in the blood of the Lamb".

    ReplyDelete